Tuesday, April 15, 2008

no supper tonight

I've never been one for alarmist behavior. I can wallow in obsessive dread with the best of them, but that's more rooted in the frustration of events escaping my control, things like car repairs or dental work where I'm forced to operate on someone else's terms. Outright panic just seems pointless; few things ever turn out as badly as imagined, and even the few that do live up to the ultra-negative expectations are better handled with a clear head.

My undergraduate mentor, a cultural history professor, would frequently evoke the looming spectre of societal collapse, always clarifying his somber jeremiads with "I say when, not if." Back then, I considered his apocalyptic assuredness as the affection of a veteran leftist prone to seeing dark portents on every horizon. Despite my ingrained cynicism, his pronouncements seemed based upon the grim predictions of 70's science-fiction rather than upon empirical evidence. Nowadays, though, I'm not so sure.

I have been feeling troubled as of late. The sensation is not the familiar one of personal existential dread, but rather a gut feeling that events of consequence are unfolding and interlocking at a glacial but accelerating pace. Food riots are breaking out across the globe, as the neo-liberal promises regarding globalization have proven themselves to be not only empty, but outright malignant in terms of consequences. Energy costs are skyrocketing, causing rampant inflation. The edifice of debt-financed prosperity has effectively collapsed. The programs and policies created to check and mitigate the damage have been defanged, dissolved, or discredited.

When school systems are dropping milk from the lunch menu so they can bring in soft drink concession revenue, the problem is bigger than a simple economic downturn. When a basic staple of life such as flour or corn is priced beyond reach because of commodities speculators, it is clear that the system is broken.

The center has failed to hold, and few people want to connect the dots and awaken to the greater problem. (In this country, its a matter of denial, in that few will acknowledge the notion that fast-and-loose capitalism does not intrinsically favor America and will devour any victim with equal aplomb.)

I can't shake the feeling that that this is just the beginning, that these events collectively presage something huge and ugly with the capacity of permanently transforming the global quality of life.

The Clash - Armagideon Time (from the b-side of the 1979 "London Calling" single; collected on The Story of The Clash, Part 1, 1990)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

pop a pill or a few and all will be well...you made it this far, why worry about what may or may not happen in a few years? A major catastrophe will mean more parking spaces.

PJ said...

...Or take the advice I've always found comforting, instructive, and affirming:
"Steal the right boat."

bitterandrew said...

It's not so much the specifics of what I'm worrying about as the fact that I'm worrying in the first place, which is rare indeed.

Now I must get back to hardening my backyard bunker's defenses...

Dances With Zombies said...

The scary thing is I was having this exact same conversation with a friend today. It's not just America either, here in Australia it's gaining momentum too. The divide HAS happened. If we don't address then Soylent Green here we come...

Mondo said...

And there's the same crackle of a crisis on the horizon here in the UK - I've always been a devotee of the Alfred E Nueman "What? Me worry?" mantra. But sometimes you don't need to join the dots, to see the shape of things to come *Affects Goldmember voice and says "Yardbirdsh and David Bowie"*

Anonymous said...

Need a lift, here's a gift that
got me through a lot a hard times.


"Anything, anything would be better than this agony of mind, this creeping pain that gnaws and fumbles and caresses one and never hurts quite enough." Sartre


Be Well,


George

Highlander said...

Good God, even I'm finding this depressing and I'm malignant 90% of the time as it is!

I come here for relief and release - not more of the same.

But I do think you're right...

Anonymous said...

Look at the number of comments - somebody must have struck a chord here. Even in bloody bloody Belgium (as close as Hobbiton as one can get) a lot of us realise that if poverty does not grab us, the climate will. Still, it is rarely as well put as you do here. Which is not a surprise, considering your exquisite taste in music. 'We're only gonna die of our own arrogance!'