Hey, groovy readers, can you figure out...
Answer: Not only was the bus on time, but it's the middle of August and the air conditioner is working properly.
Answer: These lively lads are playing outside, getting plenty of fresh air and exercise instead of sitting on the rumpus room couch playing Halo 3 and stuffing their faces with junk food.
Answer: The driver of the car was able to effectively respond to an unexpected situation because she doesn't use her cell phone while driving.
Answer: The community still maintains public trash receptacles, instead of earkmarking those funds toward extortionate tax breaks for condo developers and multinational corporations.
Answer: None of the students in the above picture are carrying a concealed weapon or murder list, nor has anyone uttered a homophobic insult during the entire course of the event depicted.
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Something's Wrong (from Psychocandy, 1985) - I'll say. It sounds like someone stuck a meat skewer though my subwoofer. Wait, that buzzdrone I'm hearing is intentional and considered to be the band's signature sound? The devil you say!
The Byrds - It Won't Be Wrong (from Turn! Turn! Turn! 1965) - How could it be, when twelve-string jangles and dead perfect folk rock harmonies are involved?
Sunday, November 25, 2007
let me show you once and we'll be free
Posted by
bitterandrew
at
10:35 PM
Labels: alt rock, comics, folk rock, what the hell am I doing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Hey, I recognise those pictures - its Nostalgiaville! Just wish I didn't agree with all your points quite so completely. Confirms my suspicion that I am evolving into a Grumpy Old Man (I consider the program more of a documentary than a comedy). At least the realisation made me smile.
I remember those days. I even remember the days of no cell phones, microwaves, nintendo. Poor us. We actually had to use our imagination back then. How did we ever survive?
Dave
I try not to be a Grumpy Old Man over things like fashions or music, because those are easily made fun of without evoking the "when I was a lad" clause.
However, I have no bones about pointing out that when I was kid, growing up during a recession and energy crisis, schools used to provide pencils, crayons, and paper to pupils, and not force parents to pony up the dough.
Shit! - you have to pay for paper, pens, pencils for your kids schooling? That is bad.
It depends of the district, but pretty much yeah. School funding has been problematic since the tax revolts of the late 1970's, when property tax increases were strictly limited by a fixed formula (which has some basis in reason, since values tend to skyrocket while wages remain stagnant, but in practice it became ugly).
These days, things like school bus service or afterschool athletics or other activities charge fees, often in the $100-200 range. Folks grumble, but no one sees the logic of sharing the burden over pay as you go. A ten-dollar quarterly tax increase is unspeakable, yet paying a grand out of pocket is somehow okay.
Post a Comment