Ocassionally, I'll come across a piece of sequential graphic art that manages to pierce though my crusty shell of jadedness and remind me why I fell in love with comics in the first place. It doesn't occur that often (and I'm willing to split the blame for that equally between myself and the current state of the comics industry), but it did happen last Thursday, when the fifth volume of Kiyohiko Azuma's Yotsuba&! I ordered arrived in the mail.
I'm a pretty reserved guy, and it's a rare occasion where I find myself laughing out loud over something I'm reading, but this...



...had me in stitches. Granted, I have a weakness for scatalogically-themed humor, but it was more than that; few works in any media have been able to capture the spirit of childhood as well as Yotsuba&! does, and that sequence in particular nailed that special mix of immaturity and whimsy (and adult exasperation) perfectly.
PINE*am - Get a Choco (from Pull the Rabbit Ears, 2005) - Imagine Ladytron run through a slight J-Pop filter, and you'd have something close to this track. Highly recommended.


2 comments:
LOL!
I think we are in complete agreement on this one. Yotsuba rules. Its ages since I've read anything so genuine, original and funny.
I always think of Titan Go Kings as the theme band for this manga. Perhaps it is because I've seen those girls in person and they sorta look like her.
Post a Comment