What I thought was a sinus headache has turned out to be something even nastier and more virulent, and I've spent most of the day feeling like I'm controlling my body via remote feed through a haze of electromagnetic interference.
My planned topic for today has been temporarily shelved. In its place are some highlights from the unsubtle, yet prescient What If? #44 (April 1984) -- "What if Captain America were revived today?" -- by Peter B. Gillis, Sal Buscema, and Dave Simons.
"...and the Federalist Society and the Project for a New American Century and the Board of Trustees of Regent College's Law School..." Actually, I'd be more comfortable with a secret ruling cabal that included 1930's movie serial villains, Revolutionary War re-enactors, and luchadores than with the one currently running the show.
"...and that's Giuliani's campaign strategy?" A tip of the hat to Cap for his clever decision to disguise himself as Billy Crocker.

The organizers of the White House Correspondents' Dinner thought they were making a "safe" choice by asking Cap to emcee. The video of his monologue went on to become the most viewed clip in YouTube's history.
The Cortinas - Fascist Dictator (from a 1977 single) - Straightforward, no-frills '77 Britpunk...and there's nothing wrong with that, really.
Ella Fitzgerald - Anything Goes (from Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook, 1956) - This marks the second time I've used a track from Anything Goes, and it's not even my favorite musical. That honor is split between between Show Boat and Bye Bye Birdie. (Unless you consider Clambake a musical, though wise souls try not to consider Clambake, period.)
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Plymouth Rock would land on them
Posted by
bitterandrew
at
11:35 PM
Labels: Captain America, comics, illness, laziness, patriotism, punk, showtunes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment