Tuesday, November 21, 2006

in theatres today

This ain’t no Chatty Cathy art film, folks. AT:TM is an overbudgeted cinematic juggernaut jampacked with gratuitously implausible CGI effects and plot holes wide enough to accommodate a fleet of tricked out Hummers.

This film has it all:

Action!

Naz Nomad and The Nightmares – Action Woman (from Give Daddy the Knife, Cindy, 1984) – This is The Damned, posing as a forgotten sixties garage rock act for a one off album of period cover songs. The Litter, a Minneapolis garage band, first recorded this track in 1967, and Vanian, Scabies and company manage to pull off their own authentic sounding version that doesn’t simply clone the original.

Danger!

Rough Cut – Danger Boy (from a 1981 single) – Pretty good femvox punk out of Detroit. Have I mentioned that I'm a pushover for this kind of stuff?

Excitement!

Le Tigre – I’m So Excited (from This Island, 2004) – I’d lump This Island in with Fischerspooner’s Odyssey as examples of how certain bands can be too slickly produced for their own good. Both albums are entirely listenable and even enjoyable to a certain degree, but the sparks of genius that originally drew me to the acts’ earlier works have been blanched out in the mix. The end results are agreeable but fairly generic. This excellent Pointer Sisters’ cover was a welcome exception.

A killer movie deserves a killer theme song, and nothing beats “Bravely Folk Song,” the Cervantes Stage BGM from the 1996 fighting game, Soul Edge (Soul Blade in the States). This track, from Namco Sound Team’s Super Battle Attack Soul Edge, would be my choice of anthem should my dreams of world domination ever come to fruition. (This would be after my global purge of any and all snarky fanboys bold enough to point out where I lifted the theme from. Absolute power has its rewards.)

Edit: I almost forgot -- every blockbuster flick needs plenty of explosions....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Le Tigre – I’m So Excited (from This Island, 2004...

What did you really expect from a movie that was a fraging ripoff? Orignality? I am not really suprized that the music would of been of the flavor of a stale cracker. Well in a way I am...they saved so much money in writting this script they could of got some better music in it. But on the other hand if you are going to make a flick that has 95 copywrite violations why even try. -AH

bitterandrew said...

Nononononono.... not The Island, the super explodo ripoff of Clonus, but This Island, a Le Tigre album.

Otherwise I agree with you one hundred percent. Michael Bay must be stopped before he gets around to remaking Sgt. Pepper's (and that's inevitable) and the fabric of reality itself is torn asunder.

Anonymous said...

wow, shows how much of culture neanderthal I am and that is a lession for you kids out there...read after you put on your glasses before making comments. (plays the school house rock theme)-AH