Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween Countdown: October 30 – she loves her mate as he loves her

On this day in 2004, my girlfriend and I got married after an extended (as in "twelve-year") engagement. It was a very odd and exciting time, occurring within the temporal vale between Maura's birthday and Halloween, not to mention under the sign of the Red Sox 2004 World Series victory (an auspicious omen, if ever such things did exist). To be honest, I really don't remember much of the proceedings on that rainy Saturday afternoon, just some stray moments and flashes that were vivid enough to impress themselves on my subconsciousness through the adrenalin-fueled haze.

I do remember the following day, with my morning spent gathering up essentials from my old place to bring to the house on the hill that would become our home for then on out. Unfortunately, it happened to be the day when Woburn's annual Halloween parade was being held, and I was forced to detour through two neighboring towns to actually get to the new house where Maura was waiting for me. We did a little unpacking, made a quick trip to purchase some essentials, then bought some takeout which we ate on the couch while watching horror films on a 12-inch placeholder TV and handing out candy to the occasional trick-or-treater.

Better than a honeymoon in Oahu? Absolutely, and much cheaper, to boot.

Three years have passed. My wife and I have settled in nicely, our "Club of Two" is as strong and exclusive an organization as it has ever been, and the Sox have swept their way to another World Series victory.

I love this time of year.

Happy Anniversary, "Girl"!

X - The Hungry Wolf (from Under the Big Black Sun, 1982) - The couple that preys together stays together.

Shane MacGowan & Sinéad O'Connor - Haunted (from The Snake, 1995) - The wife and I had this better-than-the-original re-recording (with MacGowan's backing band, The Popes) of a Pogues track from the Sid and Nancy soundtrack played at our wedding reception.

I said "He's kind of shy/But that's the kind of girl I am/He's my kind of guy" -- that pretty much sums us up as a couple, I think.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

David Campbell said...

Happy Anniversary you crazy kids!

Anonymous said...

*sniff sniff* very sweet!!!!

Happy Anniversary!!

alt-gramma said...

Happy Anniversary! Love that cartoon. Songs are great too!
:)

Jack Feerick said...

I dunno, man—the Sinéad version of "Haunted," better than the original? That's just crazy talk. The original's update of the girl-group aesthetic was unsurpassed until Johnny Boy came along, but the remake? Leaving aside the fact that Shane and Sinéad sound like they're phoning in their vocal parts from different galaxies, it's so out-of-place on The Snake, such an obvious and shameless grab for a chart single; the album just sort of stops dead around it and never really recovers.

But yeah, go Team Married!

bitterandrew said...

The Snake was an extended exercise of trying to catch some of that Pogues lightning in a bottle, full stop.

I think the duet works better than the original because of the dissonance between the vocalists -- kind of like (and here's where I ruin any facade of credibility) how the Tom Jones/Natalie Imbruglia version of "Never Tear Us Apart" edges out the INXS version by a hair.

Not that I dislike the originals in either case, mind you. The Pogues' "Haunted" was the only reason to own a copy of the Sid and Nancy OST.

Gary Oldman imitating Sid Vicious imitating Iggy Pop? What's next? The Killers covering Joy Division's "Shadowplay?"

Oh, wait....

Ed said...

Happy anniversary!

Ed

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing both this fantastic blog and your anniversary with us.

Here's to many more!

Anonymous said...

Let me shamefully admit that the Sid'n'Nancy OST was my 1st exposure to Sex-Pistols-Iggy-Pop, so it did some good work broadening an 8th grader's horizons. And yes, Repo Man was my 1st time listening to Black Flag.

Bully said...

Happy Anniversary! You can't see me here, but I'm doin' the patented bully happy-dance for you two.

Gotta love "Haunted." One of my favorite love songs of all time.

Jack Feerick said...

I liked the little Pray For Rain instrumentals on the Sid and Nancy soundtrack, myself—but yeah, overall a disappointment, given the talent involved (John Cale! Joe Strummer!)

Now, the soundtrack to Straight To Hell—that's a different story...

PJ said...

"...works because of the dissonance between the vocalists..."
I think Kirsty was great with Shane. Particularly on the Cole Porter.
"Because of the dissonance."Like any good marriage. Works for mine.
Happy anniversary!

(And hanx! for the Countdown.)

Mondo said...

Happy anniversary - raise a glass and shake a leg

The Red Baron said...

Oh why didnt anyone comment on The Misfits' track? Its a scorching slab of retro punk that doesnt sound out of place anywhere, anyhow .. I can sense my skinny ties curling up at the back of the wardrobe now. Thanks a million.

BlogBaron

Queue said...

Joyeux anniversaire, y'all. (Yeah, a bit late - still acceptable, I hope.)

--Q

Ed said...

BTW meant to say how much I like the shane and Sinead version. Think 'Haunted' might be the great lost Pogues song...

TheMadBlonde said...

Happy belated! Will be celebrating my 20th in May & heartily recommend marriage if one is lucky enough to find a good mate!