Punky meets funky in this week's Sunday b-side selection ripped from the flip side of X's 1984 "Wild Thing" 12-incher:
X - True Love Pt. #2 (Club Remix)
It's more reminscent of the B-52's than the Bukowskian punk rock sound the legendary L.A. quartet was most famous for, but that's the mid-1980's for you. Things were different then.
Even though I was a fan of the X before I even met Maura, I can't help but think of them as one of "her" bands, partly because she was the one who instituted the mandatory X requirement for in-car mix CDs (before Super Lumina's CD player shit the bed and we switched to using a Zune for driving music). Maura got a chance to see the original line-up of the band during the Boston leg of their 31st anniversary tour a couple weeks back, a performance she succinctly described as "awesome."
She also got the opportunity to add the following photo featuring X guitarist Billy Zoom...
...to her small collection of "Maura hugs her punk rock heroes" shots. (See also.)
Sunday, June 01, 2008
x marks the dance mix
Posted by
bitterandrew
at
10:35 PM
Labels: b-side Sundays, dance, my wife scares me at times, punk
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I saw them a few years ago in Lexington KY of all places. Great fun to see some of your musical heroes still performing together and sounding good. Thanks for this club mix, I have all their CD's and even the anthology but I've never heard this.
JK
Way cool... More Fun... was the first X I bought. My brother had given me copies of Los Angeles and Wild Gift, but I plunked down my lawn mowing money and had More Fun.. special ordered in, to my population-8000 nowhere-town.
I came across this mix awhile back, but have a feeling I might not have commented to the place I got it from. You are getting my "Thanks!," in lieu of thanking who I really got it from. (I'm trying to be more proper in my web ettiquite, nowadays, though.)
I got to meet John Doe very briefly at a hipster bar in Chicago a few years back.
I'm not positive but I think he was either trying to pick up a a younger lady or she had decided she was going to get with him no matter what.
It was kind of odd. I look over and think, "That guy looks a lot like John Doe. Hmm, because it is John Doe."
Alternately, Professor:
"That guy looks a lot like Bill Paxton. Hmm, that's because it's John Doe."
great band.
great photo.
lousy song- jeez... x commisioning dance remixes.
Post a Comment