Monday, June 12, 2006

where there are no waves


A local obscurity for today's post, "No Surfing In Dorchester Bay" by the Gremies from their 1980 7''. It's a goofy little dose of garage punk that had been on my want list since I came across an entry for it in a new wave discography fifteen years ago.

Beautiful Dorchester Bay! From the picturesque grandeur of the Keyspan gas tank and its rainbow mural (look close and you can spot Ho Chi Minh's profile in the blue stripe) to the brutalist edifices of the UMass Boston campus, it's urban shoreline at its most depressing.

So come and take a walk along the Columbia Point causeway. If you're real lucky, you might not be hit by a rotting crab carcass dropped by one of the seagulls circling overhead.

2 comments:

tgronke said...

This filled in the gap from a snippet of a Future Dads single I have on an old tape of a WHRB Record Hospital broadcast from 1987 with my favorite bit of lyrics
"summer I'll be riding those three-inch waves / in Dorchester Summer, in Dorchester Bay / No need to escape, who needs the Cape?"

Anonymous said...

Oh Man! Any chance you'd be willing to post this again? I've been looking for an mp3 version for ages. (I still have the original 45)
CMD

http://girl-named-fred.livejournal.com/