Tuesday, June 13, 2006

she don't try to be like a TV star

It's spring cleaning day here on the mountainside. I haven't even begun my half of the chores list, so let's make this short and sweet. Here's two tracks from early Scottish pop-punkers the Rezillos.

The great thing about early punk was that it was truly a movement, opening new musical possibilities and vistas where anything could (and often did) happen. Decades after punk music has calcified into three-minute bursts of guitar rock tarted up with studs and leather, it's all too easy to lose sight of what made the initial punk explosion so wonderful and terrifying. It meant a band like the Rezillos, more inspired by 60's eccentric Screaming Lord Sutch than by the Sex Pistols or the Clash, could rise up out of nowhere and not only be heard, but meet with a degree of chart success.

The band's nearly entire output can be found on Can't Stand The Rezillos: The (Almost) Complete Rezillos. (It's short a few tracks, but worth getting all the same.)

Finally, here's a clip of the band lipsynching "Destination Venus" on Top of the Pops in 1978.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just stumbled upon your LJ and it seemed like the best way to contact you.

Noticed you had the Opening Theme to Rising Zan, something I've been looking for for awhile and was wondering is somehow I could get it from you. Unfortunately the Rapid Share link has expired >_<

I'll check back if you wanna repost it, or you can IM me (my AIM is GELTON Z). Or, of course, you can just completely ignore me :P Whatever floats your boat.

bitterandrew said...

Nah, I'm thrilled, THRILLED I tell you, that someone would want that delightful little ditty.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0F76DA5C1749CC2F

There you go.