
Part two of the "The New Wave's Last Roundup" series, featuring the Glaswegian pop duo Strawberry Switchblade. The group, consisting of friends Rose McDowall and Jill Bryson, had actually been around since 1981 (as part of the Scottish regional scene that produced such indie pop darlings as Orange Juice), but it wasn't until their second single, 1984's "Since Yesterday", that they caught the public's attention. (In the UK, at least, where the song made it into the top ten.)
Strawberry Switchblade is often referenced as an example of new wave bubblegum, a facile bit of pigeonholing that overlooks the generally melancholy outlook expressed in their lyrics. Even their bounciest pop tracks are tinged by undercurrents of sadness and loss. It's a strange dichotomy, but one that gives their music a unique charm.
Their self-titled 1985 debut LP failed to build on the buzz generated by the "Since Yesterday" single, and never saw an American release, although the duo was huge in the Asian markets. This was especially true in Japan, where their "cutesy gothic" costumes helped inspire the "loli-goth" fashion scene.
In 1993, I willingly plunked down $25 for the Japanese import CD release of their first album. Since then, WEA International has released a collection of all the group's album and single tracks, titled Since Yesterday. Nah, I'm not bitter or nothin'. I understand the "early adopter surcharge" concept.
Here's the video for "Since Yesterday":
Friday, June 02, 2006
when tomorrow comes you'll wish you had today
Posted by
bitterandrew
at
1:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Not as good as the Queen Adreena cover of "Jolene", but much better than the White Stripes version. I like it.
I'll have to track that Queen Adreena version down. I'm a sucker for interesting cover songs.
Post a Comment