Saturday, November 08, 2008

to the vanquished, the spoils

Combining historical accuracy with cultural sensitivity!

Here is the scenario:

Your side has just been decisively defeated by the opposition. While the rout can be credited in part to the superior leadership, organization, and tactics of the enemy, the unfortunate (but entirely forseeable) consequences of your side's ideological and policy decisions were also a major factor.

Even after launching every weapon in your arsenal and mobilizing your most loyal and reliable ground forces, you had to fight (and lose) on fronts that you hadn't even anticipated from the outset.

So, faced with such a colossal rebuke of your strategy, tactics, and global vision, do you:

1. Humbly reflect on the errors in judgement that caused your loss and recalibrate your focus?

2. Brazenly attempt to dictate terms to the victorious side while refusing to acknowledge the reasons for your defeat?

If you answered "2," you could have a great future ahead of you as a right-wing op-ed columnist.

Manual Scan - American Way (from a 1982 single; collected on This Is Mod v.6: The United States of Mod, 1999) - "Never apologize. It's a sign of weakness." If there's one thing I've learned as an American, it's that sociopathy and arrogance are more socially acceptable behaviors than signs of "weakness" are.

Don't let the compliation title fool you -- this cut may be mod revival by association, but the postpunk influences (Gang of Four and Pylon, specifically) are unmistakable.

3 comments:

Baal said...

I know you're alluding to something and I suspect it's the elections this past week. You don't mean the presidential one, right? I know I haven't read a story about it since McCain's nice speech congratulating Obama but it wasn't a landslide or anything was it? I thought Obama only won elctorally and with the slimmest of simple majorities. 'Course you could be referring to MA and I know the behavior you describe is like mother's milk to the pols.

bitterandrew said...

It mostly has to do with the insistence from right-wing op-ed columnists and pundits that the Obama administration has to adhere to the failed policies of the past eight years.

Baal said...

We really do have a lot of crazy commentators on both sides of center, don't we? I've made a conscious decision to only listen to the polite ones so I don't follow any anymore...