Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Halloween Countdown: October 4 – sometimes you’re better off dead

Horror: It’s all a matter of presentation.

Today’s macabre offering was recommended to me by Kevin Church, the up-and-coming comics writer and bourbon-besotted genius behind BeaucoupKevin.com, and it’s a Pet Shop Boys cover from a 2001 PSB tribute album, Very Introspective, Actually.

The dour, socially aware pop of “West End Girls” might seem like a odd choice for a Halloween music selection, but this interpretation by poet/performance artist Nicole Blackman and John Van Eaton is the stuff of which nightmares are made. Sinister intent lurks behind each spoken line, set against a creepy-as-fuck minimalist soundscape rife with ambient spookhouse effects. It reminds me a lot of Crass’s spoken word material, evoking the same sensations of having made a wrong turn into someplace horrible and wrong. Don’t bother retracing your steps. The exit has been blocked. This isn’t London. It’s a necropolis.

How far have you been? Just you wait.

Nicole Blackman and John Van Eaton - West End Girls

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really hope that wasn't meant to be pleasurable listening. Creepy. And what was that horrible pattering noise in the background. I get the chills just thinking of it.

Chance said...

I'll tell you a spooky song: "O'Malley's Bar" by Nick cave.

Anonymous said...

I'm very flattered, you should hear it it when I TRY to write something REALLY spooky, ah, "that horrible pattering noise" Those are my Digital Pigeons, be they in Jack The Ripper's London, or in Necropolis, you decide.............

Chus said...

This is what I think: Better Off Dead (film)