After the suffocating doom and gloom of yesterday’s selection, I figured I’d lighten things up with some bouncy, upbeat indie pop befitting the festive side of the Halloween season. Man (or woman) does live on morbidity alone. Well, some do, like those elderly aunts who pass their time going funeral-hopping, but are they really role model material?
Today’s track is “Secret Vampires” by bis from 1995's Secret Vampire Soundtrack EP, and is representative of the band’s early disposable teen-pop/indie pop sound. It may sound insubstantial compared to the material on 1999’s Social Dancing, which I consider to be the band’s creative apex, but it’s a perfect track for some candy corn-fueled ass-shaking.
(I like the concept of candy corn better than the actual product. Aesthetically, it captures the essence of the holiday perfectly, but gastronomically, it leaves much to be desired. I do not recommend substituting candy corn for an actual corn-based breakfast cereal, even though candy corn has less sugar, more nutritents, higher fiber content, and tastes better in milk than most frosted corn breakfast products on the market today.)
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Halloween Countdown: October 5 – Got blood desire?
Posted by
bitterandrew
at
1:01 PM
Labels: candy corn, halloween
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ignorant question maybe, but do you know if the bis song "Kill Yr Boyfriend" is associated/inspired by any stretch, the Grant Morrison graphic novel of the same name?
trivial and quite likely unnecessary aside: [KYB] which I have been desperately trying to track down ever since I saw it in a Barnes & Noble back in 2004 and would later, repeatedly and with feeling, kick myself for having given it a miss. I think it's out of print now and/or all the used copies I've seen since are going for upwards of $60(!). It's only by sheer stubborn tenacity (because, you see, I am psycho/biologically predisposed to not giving up/in where I probably should) and complete dumb luck that I managed to stumble across a newish copy for under $20 the other week.
Of course, it's yet to arrive and I've not read it, but I just get such a wonderful kick out of things that self-reference and/or offer sincere/tongue-in-cheek homages to other (neat) things that ANYWAYS I just thought I'd ask.
I was thinking the same possible connection this morning, while listening to the song on a 1995 EP. The timing seems right, although I don't know who influenced who, and Wikipedia is typically useless on the matter.
I wish I knew you were looking for a copy of that comic. I'd have gladly given you mine.
There's nothing wrong with not giving up. A lot of good stuff has come my way long after lesser souls would have given up the ghost. (My brother's philosophy on comic collecting, and he's a Silver Age Marvel guy, amounts to "wait long enough, and what you're looking for will turn up at a decent price.")
What is that panel from? Looks like the Archie Comics adaptation of Dark Shadows. Is that Dan DeCarlo or just an uncanny simulation?
The latter. It's from Swing With Scooter #31, after DC ditched Orlando's original vision and went with a more *ahem* familiar art style.
Post a Comment