Sunday, October 01, 2006

Halloween Countdown: October 1 – she says damn that horror bat

“This is the only time of year when people can decorate their yards with tombstones and skeletons. That’s a shame. Why not do it for Christmas, too?” – my high school friend, Jeremy

It’s October 1st, an so I’m kicking off a month long project I’ve been planning since I first created this blog last May – thirty one days, thirty one posts, thirty one Halloween-themed tracks hand-picked from the musty catacombs of my music archives, and brought to you in decadently luxurious Armagideo-vision. (Don’t bother asking what the process entails; I tossed it in because it sounded kind of cool.)

And what better way to get the spiked torture ball of doom rolling than The Birthday Party’s classic “Release The Bats”? Released as a single in 1981, and later added to the reissued version of the Junkyard LP, it’s a wonderfully creepy mix of post-punk and rockabilly with Nick Cave providing the frenzied vocals. This ain't gothic rock, no matter what the white-pancake-and-hairspray-crowd would have you believe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last year I had loose plans to structure a similar sort of theme-inspired Halloween track list for a get together which sort of fizzled into the ether.

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this already, but if you're taking suggestions, I'd like to recommend 'City Hobgoblins" by The Fall, off their album, Grotesque.

Very much looking forward to seeing what you put together!

bitterandrew said...

I put together a 2-disc mix CD set of spooky music which was supposed to be played on our first Halloween in the new house.(My wife and I were married on 10/30/04, and moved in the next day.) It ended up getting shelved because we ended up watching horror movies on cable instead.

The tracks on those discs were mostly atmospheric post-punk/death rock/gothic rock, but I'm casting my nets wider on this project.

I'll have to check out that Fall track. I had been considering using something off of Hex Enduction Hour, but nothing's etched in stone...