Monday, March 05, 2007

like a dancing flame on a bed of nails


There is something fascinating about Debbi Anderson, the mercurial teenage star of two teen comedy (aka “Archie clone”) titles, Date With Debbi and Debbi’s Dates, published by DC in the late 60’s/early 70’s. The character reminds me of my wife for some reason I just can’t put my finger on. There’s a superficial physical resemblance – short hair, freckles, the shape of the lips – although my wife’s hair is dark brown with chestnut highlights, not red, and she eschews flares and fringe in favor of jeans and punk rock/roller derby t-shirts.

Nah, it’s something else…








…like a short temper and propensity toward impulsive violence! That’s what it is!

I’m kidding (sort of). My wife is a very sweet, loving person who reserves her ample stores of ire for people and things that deserve it. As long as I’m not on the receiving end, it’s rather nice to be partnered with a ferocious angel of vengeance. Who says road rage can’t be a couples’ activity? (It’s safer, too, because I don’t need to take my hands off the wheel to flip asshole drivers off anymore. The lady has it covered.)

It can get a little terrifying on occasion, like when she threw a bowl out a second story window because it fell off the shelf “one too many times,” but it keeps domestic life interesting, to say the least.

The Pop Group – She Is Beyond Good and Evil (from Y, 1979) – Like an elemental force that cannot be constrained, only borne witness to… Wait; am I talking about this song or my wife’s temper?

Talulah Gosh – Break Your Face (from Backwash, 1996) – There is more sweet, melodic pop crammed into this one minute and fifteen seconds than in the entire discographies of lesser bands.

The Yachts – Look Back in Love (Not in Anger) (from The Yachts, 1979) – Not to be confused with “Yacht Rock,” this is a very retro-sounding slice (love those organ riffs!) of early British new wave.

Brigitte Handley – Mad at You (from Stand Your Ground, 2002) – As opposed to “Mad About You,” where a post-Go-Go’s Belinda Carlisle cavorts about the house in a man’s shirt while singing about her undying love for Paul Reiser. (As I get older, I find my brain compresses the less important memories together to free up storage space.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hehe

cute entry.

so i looked for contact info, but don't know how else to say this... but i've been listening to can since 14 (24 now) and i finally made something i think is good enough. and i figured you might dig it.

it's here: http://tago-mago.net/music.htm

remixes of the streets, marvin gaye, mos def, b-52's, cocteau twins, more

hope you like it

---------------

The "Eardrums shall fail" blog said:

"Remixing is raised to art status when you give new life to music, any type of music. To see potential in a boring cut, to push the envelope all the way to different galaxies, to let your mind wander where the original intention left off - all this presumes passion and marquees lighting up over your head as opposed to a mere lightbulb. A writer, most of the time, is a passionate reader first and a remixer of words second. Tago-Mago does that with music. I may not like each and every track but that would be a strange and new feeling anyway. Rarely have I heard a reinvention of music I was, or thought I was, familiar with, in such unexpected ways. His major influence is Can, and the mixes are inspired by a variety of hip hop and electronica artists."



http://eashfa.wordpress.com/2007/02/24/pusherman-tago-mago/

bitterandrew said...

Wow, artists bringing music to me! Is this the "big time" I've heard about (in hushed whispers when it was though it was out of earshot)?

Based on the little of it I've listened so far, it's very nice stuff. I'm not a huge fan of Can, but I do like this. It'll take a while before I can make a full assessment, though.

Anonymous said...

mp3s and Archie-based comix! All I need is a can of Mountain Dew and all is right in the world by me. Great site!

bitterandrew said...

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Ed said...

Wow! Talulah Gosh and The pop Group in the same post?!! I must drop by more often.

loved this post...