Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The G.R.O.D.D. Initiative: Day 4 – hairless apes with technology

Today’s entry is on the short side, due to the fact that I’m writing this at the office, in between work assignments. My home machine has started to act a bit wonky, with XP choosing to revert my display settings out of the blue and my external hard drive forcing a reboot on hot-swapped power ups. I can think of several potential reasons why these things are happening, but in these days of cheap as dirt PC upgrades, it’s easier to swap in a bigger, better boot drive and work from a clean OS install.

In other words, tonight I’ll be too busy monkeying around with the install processes (and trying not to go ape shit over the inevitable complications) to write something more substantial from home.

The crusade must go on, however…

The Hellacopters – Monkey Boy (from Rock & Roll Is Dead, 2005) – Everything I’ve read about this band describes their sound as “garage rock,” but on this track I can hear echoes of Elton John’s rockier material from the seventies as well as snatches of Nick Lowe and Dave Edmund’s style of proto-new wave pub rock. Highly recommended.

Ian Brown – Dolphins Were Monkeys (Single Version) (from The Greatest, 2005) – If dolphins were monkeys, Sea World’s awesomeness factor would increase by a zillion orders of magnitude. I remember Ian Brown’s old outfit, The Stone Roses, being huge among the college set during my freshman year. Then they just sort of vanished off the face of the earth when the grunge fad hit.

3 comments:

Mark W. Hale said...

You, my friend Andrew, need a little place called Monkey Jungle. It is what I like to call "The REAL Happiest Place on Earth."

bitterandrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bitterandrew said...

Brilliant! It's like they combined Roddy MacDowall's roles in the "People Are Alike All Over" episode of Twilight Zone and The Planet of the Apes.

If only they could have found a way to bring Laserblast into the mix...