Saturday, September 09, 2006

they won’t fade as time goes by


(your author in 1991, 2nd from the right)

Has it really been fifteen years since the autumn of 1991? I was nineteen then, returning to college as an English literature major after an ill-advised freshman year attempt at majoring in physics. In practice, it merely meant I’d be skipping out on Practical Criticism instead of Calculus II that semester.

My college attendance record, at least for the first half of my undergrad career, was dismal. My friend Leech, a fellow punk rocker who dropped out of college the previous year, and I would meet up every morning and spend our days wandering around Boston. Our regular itinerary involved taking the B Line out to Harvard Ave in Allston, then walking down Comm Ave until it hit Mass Ave, which we then followed all the way to Porter Square before crossing over into Davis Square. We’d check out every used record, vintage clothing, and comic book store we passed along the way, making time to grab some greasy Café Aventura pizza in the Garage at Harvard Square.

Thanks to an overly concerned high school guidance counselor, I was lucky enough to have scored a scholarship for “brilliant, at risk” kids (my family sort of imploded in my junior year, which seemed to effect everyone else more than it did the people actually involved) that gave a generous living expense allotment and didn’t set any minimum academic standards. This meant I was fairly rolling in mad money at the time, most of it getting spent on pizza, videogames, and used vinyl.

It was during that glorious fall of 1991, in between the grease-induced heartburn, stacks of rare punk records, and my failing to live up to my potential, I started dating Maura, the woman who I’d end up marrying (in October 2004, after a twelve-year engagement). That story has been written up in various entries on my journal, so I won’t go over that ground again here. Leech, Maura, and I would hang out, his presence helping to take the pressure off as Maura and I slowly built up confidence in our growing relationship. Unfortunately, Leech saw it as a love triangle scenario, leading to some unnecessary unpleasantness the following spring. That golden fall, however, will always invoke fond memories.

In the spirit of those times, here are some examples of what I was listening to at the time.

Black Flag – My War (from My War, 1984) – I try my hardest to separate the Henry Rollins responsible for this searing piece of pure aggro from Henry Rollins, the posturing self-important buffoon. Occasionally, I succeed.

Joy Division – Interzone (from Unknown Pleasures, 1979) – I was walking across campus the other day when I saw a freshman wearing a t-shirt featuring the cover art from Unknown Pleasures printed in neon rainbow colors. Something died inside me at that moment.

Ministry – Stigmata (from The Land of Rape and Honey, 1988) – Listen to this track, then watch this video from 1983:



This concludes today’s lesson in cognitive dissonance.

The Partisans – Anger and Fear (You’re All Alone Now) (from The Time Was Right, 1984) – No matter how much my musical tastes broaden or evolve, this track maintains its position as my favorite song of all time. I couldn’t even begin to tell you why. It simply is.

Throwing Muses – Not Too Soon (from The Real Ramona, 1991) – An excellent Tanya Donelly track that prefigures the deceptively sweet indie pop sound she would explore with her post-Muses band, Belly.

0 comments: