Hey, have you heard the news?
Truly a sad day for anarchists and enthusiasts of visible nipples alike.
While Farrah-mania never recovered from the Crash of '78, gossip columnist Cindy Adams's hyperbolic pronouncement of punk's demise in the June 1978 issue of Pizzazz Magazine turned out to be somewhat exaggerated.
During the anemic days just prior to punk's commercialized resurrection in the mid-1990's, my friends and I used to joke that "punk is dead...and we're maggots feeding on its rotting corpse." Punk music and fashion may have become codified and commodified, but the underlying philosophy -- the demystification of process and rejection of authority -- remains valid despite decades of exploitation and misappropriation.
Crass - Punk Is Dead (from The Feeding of the 5000, 1978) - Representing the disgusted anarchopunk perspective.
The Exploited - Punk's Not Dead (from Punks Not Dead, 1981) - Representing the tribalist street punk perspective.
The Vandals - The Day Farrah Fawcett Died (from Fear of a Punk Planet, 1990) - I'm more of a Cheryl Ladd guy, myself.
Monday, June 16, 2008
never mind the mammary papilla
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Not a single song in the Top 50? What an odd metric to measure the "success" of something like punk music.
Yeah, asking Matlock's opinion of the punk scene in '78 was like asking Trotsky what he thought of Stalin's Russia.
Nice. Punk & Comics. First time here, and I am finding much to like.
If you don't mind, I'll be posting a link on my little music site.
Never mind all that - Jaclyn Smith kicked both Fawcett's and Ladd's asses! I am sure her influence during my formative years is the reason I find oval faced, doe-eyed, brunettes irresistible.
Post a Comment