Thursday, June 05, 2008

here we are stranded

Doll Man lives in a little universe all his own.

After missing work on Friday (because I hate working Commencement) and Monday (because we had to make an emergency vet visit for Fergus the rabbit), I returned to the office on Tuesday to a whopping backlog of work (because the database waits for no man or sick bunny). A couple of my co-workers were out sick, the reason being that one of them chose to stay on the job most of Monday despite having a ferocious illness. Germs being the restless little busybodies that they are, the illness leapfrogged though the maze of cubicles to offer Grandfather Nurgle's benediction (Andrew = nerd) to most of the other people in my department.

"Watch out," I was told, but I figured I'd be fine since the primary vectors weren't around to spread the infectious joy.

So imagine my glee this morning when I woke up out of a sound sleep to discover that some playful pixies had run a power sander along the tender flesh between my sinuses and my trachea, and had also replaced the lymph nodes on both sides of my lower jaw with PGA-certified golf balls.

Yes, it has been one fuck of a week so far, though I did manage to score a much coveted LP from eBay this morning which will be featured in an upcoming post that could very well cement my reputation as the antichrist of Boston-based music bloggers. In other good news, Maura and the good folks from the Woburn Feral Cat Coalition managed to round up Tess's orphaned kittens (as well as a litter of Pepi's, which was a surprise that shouldn't have been) last night.

I'm still trying to figure out why Maura, who went gallavanting around in the rain and cold, and had more social contact with the folks in our office, dodged the sickness bullet while I, the cubicular hermit who spent the evening playing videogames, took it right between the eyes. Maybe there is something to that vegetarian business she's always going on about, after all.

Japan - Quiet Life (from Quiet Life, 1979) - "Hi, we're Duran Duran, and we were wondering if we could borrow a pint of your sound and a couple slices of your image? Thanks!"

4 comments:

Hallway Of Memories said...

DUDE!!! I have ALWAYS thought that about Duran Duran...ESPECIALLY this song, which Nick Rhodes must have ate, slept and breathed as they were making " Hold Back The Rain"

planet mondo said...

But there again Sylvian lifted Andy Warhol's haircut and Bryan Ferry's voice (he's pretty much made a career out working with Eno's cast offs since too)

bitterandrew said...

Indeed, so that would make Duran Duran the toecutters of this musical heist.

Unknown said...

As I have found out working in cubicles and offices, you get colds from other people-not from cold and rain. As a cubicletron packed next to other cubicletrons we are pretty suscepticle unfortuntely.