Sunday, October 26, 2008

Halloween Countdown: October 26 - it really happened

A Resurrection Plant, eh?

That reminds me of something that happened to a friend of a friend of mine a while back. This guy worked the late shift at a warehouse in North Reading, and used to drive home along Route 62 during the wee hours. Well, this one time he was making his way down the dark and lonely state highway when he spotted something really weird along the side of the road. It was a potted plant -- some kind of fern, he said -- just sitting there on the shoulder of 62 westbound in the middle of the sticks with no sign how it ended up there.

It was late October, when the first killer frosts come to the northwestern suburbs. This guy figured that the plant would die if he didn't do something, pulled to the side of the road, and retrieved it. He wasn't the gardening type, but thought that maybe his mom or his girlfriend at the time could do something with it. Anyhow, he put it on the passenger seat of his '86 Monte Carlo and hopped back behind the wheel.

While the plant, being a plant, didn't move or say anything, the guy said he could sense a "really creepy vibe" from the potted fern. He said the interior of his car felt colder, even though he had the heater cranked to the max. (That's not uncommon for a GM car, though.) He also claimed to sense an "aura of sadness" coming from the plant and it got stronger as he got closer to the Wilmington town line.

The sensation abruptly stopped when he pulled up to the lights at the intersection next to one of the many giant luxury condo complexes recently plunked down in the northwestern suburbs. When he looked over at the passenger seat, the plant was no longer there.

He sped the rest of the way back to his apartment in Bedford. His roommate was still up when he got there and asked the guy why he seemed so jittery. The guy told about the mysterious fern, even though he knew how crazy the story sounded. The roommate didn't laugh, for he had worked part-time with landscaping firm near the area where the guy found the plant.

He told the guy about how a couple of years previous, a local nursery had gone up in flames when the greenhouse heater exploded. The force of the blast sent the contents of the nursery flying in all directions. The owner of the business decided not to rebuild, and instead sold off the property to an out-of-state residential development firm which cleared the land for a luxury condo development -- the very same development where the plant mysteriously disappeared from the guy's passenger seat.

So if you happen to be driving along Route 62 on some chill autumn night and see a solitary potted plant by the shoulder of the road, don't worry. It's just the Resurrection Plant making another sad, doomed effort to get back home....

(A little context, maestro!)

de tian - Beyond the Autumn - (from a 1980 EP) - This piece of DIY postpunk makes pefect music to haunt arthouses by.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've driven down Archer Ave many times at night always on the look out for the Resurrection plant!

TheMadBlonde said...

Ah, one of my favourite ghost stories, & one of the few to be immortalised in pop music:

Laurie (popularly performed by Dicky Lee)

Last night at the dance I met Laurie
So lovely and warm
An angel of a girl
Last night I fell in love with Laurie
Strange things happen in this world

As I walked her home she said it was her birthday
I pulled her close and said
Will I see you anymore
Then suddenly she asked for my sweater
And said that she was very very cold

I kissed her goodnight at her door and started home
Then thought about my sweater
And went right back instead
I knocked at her door
And a man appeared
I told why I'd come
Then he said

You're wrong son
You weren't with my daughter
How can you be so cruel
To come to me this way
My Laurie left this world on her birthday
She died a year ago today

A strange force drew me to the graveyard
I stood in the dark
I saw the shadows wave
And then I looked and saw my sweater
Lying there upon her grave
Strange things happen in this world